‘’I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing.”
Galatians 2 vs 21
I’m sure you’ve heard, or have been directed to pray this type of prayer before – ‘I receive grace for …… (whatever your challenge / issue is) ‘.
Until very recently, I never fully grasped the meaning or depth of such prayers. Yes, grace is a person – Jesus Christ – but what’s the real essence of such prayers? Are we literally saying ‘I receive Jesus (grace) for /to overcome this issue / problem / challenge?’. Does kind-of makes sense doesn’t it!?
After-all, as the Apostle Paul agonised over his tendency to do the things he hates, and not do the things he wants to do, he concluded that Jesus is the one that could, and would deliver him.
But I simply couldn’t quite get my head around the ‘I receive grace to /for…..” – until very recently.
As I read Galatians 2 verse 21 a few weeks ago, the Holy Spirit asked me to stop, and close my eyes. Though clueless as to his intent, and in truth not feeling too positive about myself, or life in general, I nonetheless did as he asked. Worst case scenario, I would get a little shut-eye.
Then he said the following;
“Forgiveness, Unconditional Love, and Righteousness. That is what it means to receive the grace to / for something. I want you to regularly meditate on the following;
1. Forgiveness – you have been completely forgiven for every single one of your sins, mistakes, and failings; every single one – of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So much so that your sins, mistakes, failings don’t even exist anymore. Remember – every single one of your sins, mistakes, and failings, was not only put on the cross, but buried with Jesus. And when he rose again, you rose ‘in Him’, in perfect righteousness – a new creation. Your sins, mistakes, and failings no longer exist. This is what I want you to focus on.
2. Unconditional Love – l love you unconditionally, no matter what.
Remember, my word says nothing can separate you from my love for you. Nothing means absolutely nothing. And remember also that my word says that as far as the heavens are from the earth, that is how much I love you. Do you know how high up the heavens are? Exactly! My love for you is limitless. This is what I want you to focus on.
3. Righteousness – you are perfect in righteousness. My word says, ‘He was delivered over to death for your sins, and was raised to life for your justification’. My word also tells you it is me that makes you righteous, not you.
This is what I want you to focus on. This, and the other two (total forgiveness, and my unconditional love), are what it means to receive grace for such and such. The more you focus on these three keys to life, the more you recognise and embrace your new identity in Christ Jesus; and thereby the more you heal, and overcome all things, in every way.’’
Over the past two weeks, I’ve devoted certain times during each day to focus on the above. I can tell you from first-hand experience that focusing on the above isn’t just powerful, but absolutely incredible, in terms of life-changing, and healing.
The biggest test of our belief in Grace, comes after we’ve fallen – when we feel like the worst person in the entire world; as though one is the only individual on the planet with such ‘severe’ issues; and so sure in our belief that God can’t possibly keep forgiving the same sin over and over again. As a result, we spend several days focussing on our mistakes/ failings/ sins, and end up feeling more and more useless and pathetic with each passing second. In other words, we become completely sin conscious, as against Forgiveness, Love, and Righteousness conscious.
Nobody’s perfect. We will fall/ fail from time to time. But no matter how bad you’re feeling right now, I want you to focus on these three truths;
1. Every single sin / mistake, failing that you have, or will ever commit in this life, died with Jesus, and stayed dead and buried. Your sins no longer exist. They’re gone forever. This is why God says ‘He remembers our sins no more.’
‘For I will forgive their wickedness, and remember their sins no more.’
Romans 8 vs 12
2. God Loves You Unconditionally. Yes, even, and especially right now. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can separate you from His love for you.
‘And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels, nor demons, neither our fears for today, nor our worries about tomorrow – not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below – indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.’
Romans 8 vs 38-39
3. You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. You are in Christ. When he rose again on the third day you rose with Him – in Him.
‘He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.’
Romans 4 vs 25
This is what you should focus on – the above unshakeable, and unbreakable truths.
Do this, and experience a healing, restoration and victory like no other.